Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Bertie, get your gun!

We live out in the country in a small town of just over 500 people. Naturally, we have critters. For example, right now as I sit in my living room, I can smell a skunk scent coming through the open back window. They like my backyard because I have a compost pile with fruit and veggie scraps in it, Thankfully, we keep our dog in the garage at night so she hasn't been sprayed yet (knock on wood).

Another hazard of our location is mice. No matter what we do+ they keep coming in. So, we just keep setting traps and catching them. Well, lately there has been a rather tough little one to catch. It has gone as far as eating the bait off the trap without setting it off! We keep seeing it dart in and out from the back of our stove, I have seen it under the sink, and scurrying along the floor. Gross, I know! It really is country living.

Well, tonight I had enough. As I was switching the laundry one of my boys says, "Mouse!" I said, "Where?" he replies, "Right here, looking back at me." So, I went to where "right here" was and sure enough there it was sitting there; taunting (at least it seemed that way). Seeing what would be tempting the little mouse out, I decided to grab a chunk of the cake from the pan, and put it in a cup and tilted it against the stove where I kept seeing the mouse peek out, here's the pic: (no mouse in this pic, just a set up of my trap)


To make a long story short, I eventually walked away but I came back and I saw the bold little critter's head just barely over the top of the blue pyrex lid; it was on the stove top! So, I did what any other true Idaho girl would do, I went and got my son's bb gun. When I came back and raised it the little thing scurried away. I thought to myself, "dang it! It sure felt the threat!" I walked away and decided I would sneak up with the gun raised. As I got closer I saw its head in about the same place. With the gun raised I slowly went up on my tippy toes for a better view and I could barely see its little ears sticking up above the lid so I aimed just a tad bit lower and shot! The mouse disappeared from my view and I heard the bb ricochet around me, again I thought, "dang it! How did I miss that?!" So, I turned the main light on and moved the pan and to my pleasant surprise, there it layed, sadly it was suffering a bit so I did the only humane thing and took a second shot to put it out of its misery. This next photo is a bit graphic, consider yourself warned, and proceed with caution:


Now, before you go getting your knickers all twisted and write me some nasty comment about how barbaric my method was or how there are other options let me explain, this is life. There aren't any other feasible options. I did not violate this mouse's civil rights or use cruel and/or unusual punishment against it. I did what was necessary to rid my home of this threat. Mouse feces and pee is highly dangerous and can cause serious illness (google it), The nature of where we live allows mice to breed and enter into nearby dwellings. If we don't kill them they will overtake us and we cannot have that. Our house has been here for over a hundred years and I don't plan on letting the mice take over now.

One last thing: consider this a warning to any would be intruders, "little sister don't miss when she aims her gun" and I do have a bigger one! (Points to whoever can name that tune)

No comments:

Post a Comment